This Cotton Classic Yarn from Tahki - Stacy Charles put me in a mind to knit some diamonds. I was inspired by the Harlequins I saw at Carnevale in Venice a few years ago.
I began by simplifying an argyle pattern, skipping the crisscrossing lines and stripping it down to contrasting diamonds.
I wanted to get down the feel of knitting the diamonds before I introduced any shaping, so I simply knit a center back panel two diamonds wide that ran all the way to the neck, straight at the sides. You can see the back panel seam in the gallery picture.
Then I knit side back panels with enough shaping built in to make up for the completely straight center panel. Check out the short row shaping for the waist in the gallery pic. That's what's making this sweater sexy, right there.
I began by simplifying an argyle pattern, skipping the crisscrossing lines and stripping it down to contrasting diamonds
I got both fronts knit, grafted the shoulders, mattress stitched the vertical seams, added on a V-neck and picked up stitches at the armscye. A dye lot variation took the wind out of my sails when I noticed it 3/4 of the way through. I would have caught this mistake in better light. It's not visible in these pics, so I filed this mistake under f#@! it. Look carefully at the detail shot of the v-neck in the gallery to see the flaw.
I had to get creative with the pocket openings to ensure they did not disrupt the line of the argyles. As you can see by comparing the pocket backing and pocket picture, the pocket openings are actually creating the shape of those two bottom center argyles. I rather like the end result.
Tahki - Stacy Charles
6 + 3
burgundy + pumpkin